Saturday, January 26, 2013

Rollercoasters

I should be doing homework, but I can't concentrate when my favorite High School Basketball team is playing in the championship game of the big tournament my hometown hosts each January!!

(GO BIG TRIBE!!!)

But on to my thoughts about the munchkins, and our week.

Just a week ago, I was worried about the way I portray my motherly attitude to my children after finding out how I portrayed it to near strangers. It was a heartbreaking for me to hear what I did, but I tried to grow from it.

And I feel somewhat accomplished this week.

Last Sunday, D & I met someone new at church. We spoke for a little while, we emailed a few times & this person unknowingly made me feel on top of the world.

This new stranger commented on the maturity of my child(ren), how great some of the specific things we were doing with them were for them and most importantly to me...the one thing that stuck with me all week long.... was when this person told me that I don't give myself enough credit for how great my children are turning out to be.

Now, I know my children really are 5 of the best behaved, intelligent, God-loving kids around but I never realized how much of an influence I play on that. Yes, I am the mother. But that's it...I am the mother. The one they roll their eyes at, the one they will soon enough be embarrassed to hug when I drop them off with their friends.  They spend much of their time with their father (not D), their teachers, bus drivers, church staff & volunteers and friends. I have generally credited those people to the positives my children show in life.

I realize not only are there some things that I do right even when it comes out wrong, but that I can keep on doing it right, even when things look down again (as they will with the cycle that is life).

Tomorrow, I get to baptize my oldest son. I get to share a bond with him that so many parents don't get the opportunity to. I am honored and excited and scared. A new higher standard is being set for me to live by as I guide him thru these next several years.

No comments:

Post a Comment